Welcome to The Zoological Society, Kolkata
Zoological Society is one of the oldest society in the Science College. On the initiative of some teachers of the Zoology Department, Calcutta University and some Biology teachers of different affiliated Colleges, a provisional committee was constituted to form a Zoological Society for the Zoologist and lovers of Zoology. For this purpose a meeting was convened by late Prof. S. P. Ray Chaudhuri on December 11, 1945 which was presided over by Prof. T.C. Nandi of Bangabasi College. The Society was named “The Zoological Society of Bengal”, to be located at the Department of Zoology, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Calcutta-700 019.
The Society is publishing “Proceedings of the Zoological Society” since 1948, which is now recognized as an internationally reputed journal and is widely circulated all over India and abroad. The journal has recently been indexed in Zoological Records, BIOSIS, U.K., Drosophila offprint Collection, Cambridge, U.K. Many National Scientific and Academic Institutions are subscribing to our Journal.